Monday, November 17, 2014

Coronado Caves and Phoenix Temple


(I can't get her picture posted:-( )
Here is my new Zone! :) We went on a hike this morning and did some caving. This is after we had just climbed out. Most of that mountain is in Mexico. :) Coronado Caves. 


On Monday, November 17, 2014 4:01 PM, Katherine Walter <katherine.walter@myldsmail.net> wrote:


Hello ALL!
It has been a pretty great week. Holding to all positives and really every moment had positives in it. I'd like to share one big miracle from yesterday. So yesterday was the Phoenix Temple Dedication and there were three sessions being broadcast from the Stake Center. We headed in for the earliest one and as we got out of the car a young man was walking to the church about to enter for church. 
(for those of you who are LDS and are not, know that the signs on the church says 'Visitor's Welcome'. but on a Sunday when there is a temple dedication, each member who enters needs to be 8 years of age or older and hold a temple recommend for the session.) 

So as we walked up to the door this young man was standing to the side and the Brother at the door asked us to step over and talk with him. We had a good conversation, learned that he was going through a hard time and had a desire to learn more about what Mormons believe.
We set up a time to come back later that night with the Elders who cover his area and to give him a  church tour and to share a little with him. This young man was grateful and we parted ways.
Later that night he texted us earlier than we anticipated, said he was ready then, we contacted the Elders and all 5 of us headed to the church. It was such a miracle because of the timing the Lord helped us have to arrive right after him. Also because of his desires, the other Elders schedule being open and this young man seeing and saying that he believed God sent him to church yesterday to meet all of us to help him.
This connects with the scriptures I want to share this week. I am reading in the BOM as well as 1 John. And I was reading 1 John 4 yesterday and was overcome with gratitude when I read 18-20 

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth isnot made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom hehath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
I really appreciate and love verse 20 especially because of the focus of loving those who are around us. If we don't love those who are around us, who we see everyday, who we may sometimes ignore, how can we love a God whom we have not seen? How can we love anyone else we have not seen? It also reminded me of a passage from C.S Lewis The 4 Loves. But I am out of time, and that is for a different day. 
I just thought about this young man. If I didn't try and love God as imperfectly as I do. Then I wouldn't have opened up to love this person in front of me to help and offer to him something that will hopefully help him. 
I love you all! Opportunities to serve as Christ does are all around you, take them, pray to be aware of them. 
Sister Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment