Sunday, January 20, 2013

Les Miserables

I didn't hear about Les Miserables until I was in high school. I finally was able to experience it my senior year with some friends while we were at Theatre Fest. I have to admit that those few hours were some of the most life changing and spiritual ones of my life. After that I was blessed to get the Original Broadway Soundtrack for Christmas and loved it!

Since that time I have seen it a time or two and have listened to the music many, many times! Each time...I learn something new about myself, my relationship with God and others, and about many things in life.

A few months ago my roommate introduced me to the 25th Anniversary Concert Edition of Les Miserables. Again, I saw something new. I finally became excited about the movie coming out, then I could watch it when I felt the need for some inspiration. I went to see it with my mom and sister and learned more. Today though, when I went to watch it again with my dear friend Megan, I had a great moment of clarity. It is probably something that won't make sense to anyone else.

First, some of the previous things I have learned about: love, mercy, justice, grace, love, adversity, forgiveness, conflict, love, strengthening my relationship with God and Jesus Christ and sacrifice. Sounds like a Sunday School lesson, huh?

Today I had this moment after hearing some lines through the musical. The first during The Final Battle when Enjolras sings, "Let others rise to take our place until the earth is free." And then in the Epilogue/Finale of the show the chorus is singing, "Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night, it is the music of a people who are climbing to the light. For the wretched of the earth there is a flame that never dies. Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. They will live again in freedom in the garden of the Lord. They will walk behind the plough-share, they will put away the sword. The chain will be broken and all men will have their reward!"

This thought was that most people want peace. They want the time when the Savior will reign on the earth and we will all be together. People want freedom. Most conflicts...the "good" side has been striving towards freedom and peace. For thousands of years that has been the goal. If people knew that through Christ they could come to this state, emotionally...spiritually.

Just something I learned, maybe I'm wrong but it meant something to me.

If you haven't experienced Les Miserables, try it out. Look up some music on YouTube, think about the Preview All button on iTunes. The Original Broadway or London Cast.

And remember: To Love Another Person Is To See The Face Of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment